BUNKHOUSE RAMBLINGS

Started by Marshal Will Wingam, October 15, 2009, 05:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD Alan

Hey Skip, why not just tie down the holster like so many TV cowboys did and CAS shooters do today? Punch a couple of holes close together in the bottom/back of the holster, not the skirt, and the insert a piece of lace as a tie down? I tie down every rig I've made. That's one solution and a fairly easy one.

Take care, JD
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

WaddWatsonEllis

JD,

That is an option I have donsidered ... and might do .... but I would rather have the rig set up so that it would not really need it ....for two reasons:

1.) Very few people in the club tie their holsters down ..

2.) I think it would bring more attention than what I want to the fact that I have lowered holsters ....

Still it may be an option that I might need to  do ... but I really want the holster rig to look like it coulda been at home in the 1880s-1890s ... and I don't think tiedowns were used until the movies (circa 1920s and later) ...
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Forty Rod

I know this is going to sound like I'm being a smart ass, but how about using a couple of spots of Gorilla Glue or something similar on the back where it won't show?  I used it to hold half the moulding in my den because the floors were so uneven I couldn't use nails in some places.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

WaddWatsonEllis

Forty Rod

Not Smart Ass at all ....

In fact, I think that may be a great way to try it out without stitching it down ... and if it does work as expected, they 'strap' would already be in place and ready to stitch ....
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

JD Alan

I think glue might be a good option, and it sure wouldn't hurt to try it. I would be sure to rough up the leather real good. I know that leather you are using is fairly slick.  Depending on how much the guns hang up in the holsters you may find that you pull the whole thing up.

Honestly Skip those holsters don't look particularly low. They might be lower than the pattern calls for, but certainly not low compared to what you see many shooters using today.
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

WaddWatsonEllis

JD,

Thanks thor the good thoughts ... and I will definitely 'rough up the holster before glueing  those 'straps' on ... and I figure I will know after the first draw if they do what I want ... if it performs as I hope, I will sew them in, using the glue to keep them in place while I sew .... and I am putting a pic of the original holster pattern here to show what the are supposed to look like ... I actually dropped the holsters 3"

NCOWS #3403

WaddWatsonEllis

JD,

Here is a pic of the holsters with the pistols in the holsters .... and I lowered them about three inches total ....

NCOWS #3403

Boothill Bob

WWE do u think that u can use a "stopper"?
http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=33770.0;attach=30574;image

I did that on a crossdraw and it works, the holster stays
In place when u draw.
//BhB
Shoot fast and aim straight

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

WaddWatsonEllis

Boothill,

I   think that is what I meant by a 'stap'  but the photo came out so small that I could not see enough detail to know for sure....

But that is what I am really looking for ... someone who has run into this same problem and found a way (that works) to fix it ... remember that you are dealing with a guy making his first holster, so used real small words ... LOL.

And if you would rather do it in a PM, I would be fine with that ... or my email address is on my profile ....

I really look forward to talking with y'all about this ...

NCOWS #3403

Django

Hi, do you ever wonder what happens to your work when it is passed on to the customer?
This is a link to a western living history town in England that i will be visiting in a couple of weeks, it is a well put together slideshow story by Roy Daines of what we get up to in the UK.

Laredo was built by dedicated living history enthusiasts who strive to get everything as correct as possible for a pre 1890 old west town, some are in the film, i'm pretty sure some members are wearing some of my leatherwork which leads back to the topic question..."Do you ever wonder?"
It is well edited and uses a brilliant piece of music by Ennio Morricone stick with it and I hope you enjoy it
Django
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND STILL HAVE MOST OF IT LEFT
Website http://www.savoirfaire-jazz.co.uk/index.html

Forty Rod

Lots of work in your town, looks like it's very well done.

Thanks for a fine 11 minutes.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Django, that was fantastic, you pards over the pond really did a wonderful job here, and of course the music is one of my favorites

Thanks for sharing, and I think I saw one of you holsters. ::) ??? :o 8)

tEN wOLVES  :D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

GunClick Rick

Hey Forty all them ugly old guys in that video gives me hope Hollywood may still need us :D The rest of ya better get an autograph from us while you still can ;D :P There's has beens and ain't beens and we ain't been yet :)
Bunch a ole scudders!

Boothill Bob

If u look at long hunters holster u'll see they he has the same 

http://www.kirkpatrickleather.com/product/h_lhs.htm
I hope that helps
//Boothill
Shoot fast and aim straight

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

Django

This is what Roy wrote about his work explaining the plot.

"The photovideo depicts a sleepy town that in recent months has seen a bunch of desperados take over the saloon. Gambling and flirty women are making the towns men-folk understandably want some of the action.

There has been an ongoing petition for something to be done but nobody will stand up to these drunken slobs. Then one day things really get out of hand, and they start robbing the small provincial bank.

Now the town marshal has his money in it, and so do many of the towns business men. This leads to a posse of reluctant 'irregular gunfighters' being formed. The would-be bank robbers are so drunk that they are taken by surprise, as indeed are the towns hotchpotch of gunfighters. There are a few rounds fired, three of the bank robbers are wounded and one killed.

It is a lesson in morality to the local men-folk that gambling, drinking  and loose women do not pay. Soon the town gets back to its sleepy ways and everyone lives happily ever after."

I've watched it a couple of times and found it a perfect length to relax and enjoy a cup of coffee to!!
Django

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND STILL HAVE MOST OF IT LEFT
Website http://www.savoirfaire-jazz.co.uk/index.html

santee

New one, just finished. Crumpled this one up like a piece of paper while it was still wet. Had an interesting effect with lots of little wrinkles...like the ones around my eyes.
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Kid Terico

Santee nice job. Good color and looks aged. KT

Kid Terico

Django, just got around to watching the film. Had to watch it three times. I can only say, OUTSTANDING. Love the music. I have the sound track and listen to it all the time . Thank YOU. KT

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Santee,

Great looking holster! It has a real nifty look to it. Thanks for sharing it with us
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Django,
KT expressed my sentiments exactly. That is an awesome film! Many thanks for posting it.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com