Author Topic: Richards Type II "ALERT"  (Read 5615 times)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 132
Richards Type II "ALERT"
« on: June 10, 2009, 08:57:50 PM »

OK boys and girls, for those of us who lust after conversions, we may have a problem.  Two Richards Type II conversions are in the shop right now.  There MINE Dammit.  Same problem both guns.

Take your Barrel and Cylinder off and inspect the breach face of the conversion ring, around the hole for the firing pin.  On both of my guns, the firing pin was hitting the frame lightly at the bottom of the firing pin hole, but hard enough to spall off a chunk of the color case and leave a crater with sharp edges.

The primer cup flows back into the crater with sharp edges, creates an instant "high primer" and locks the guns up solid.  I do mean solid.  Cylinder will not turn without a LOT of help.

So far I've relieved the bottom  and both sides of the firing pins and and had at the hole with a needle file.  Case hardened so the file is now kaput and I'm in the process of filling the craters and facing off the breach face to make everything smooth again.

It looks to me like this may be a common problem with the Type IIs.  Incidentally, this happened with light main springs at the first match I fired these guns in.  Not real impressed am I.

Everybody needs to look at their Type IIs.

Coffinmaker

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
Re: Richards Type II "ALERT"
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 12:18:09 AM »
I sent several back for lack of QC. However, Abilene & Cimarron made good with me.

Personally, I think Uberti is overworked.

Offline Mako

• Shooter of the "holy Black", Frontier Gunfighter #1, STORM, Henry 1860
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cowboying since the Mid-20th Century
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 12:22:45 AM »
I sent several back for lack of QC. However, Abilene & Cimarron made good with me.

Personally, I think Uberti is overworked.
FCK,
Could you tell what they had done to the pistols when they were returned?

Mine are still unfired, I'll have to look at them tomorrow.

~Mako
A brace of 1860s, a Yellowboy Saddle Rifle and a '78 Pattern Colt Scattergun
MCA, MCIA, MOAA, MCL, SMAS, ASME, SAME, BMES

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:06:06 AM »

Offline Dirty Brass

• Ol' Ter-Bear
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live life to the fullest!
    • TLC Guns & Ammo Inc
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 09:20:19 AM »
I just checked mine, in 44 Spcl, and it looks OK right now, but I only have a few hundred rounds through it so far. I see where the pin is VERY close to the bottom of the hole. Now the question is - do I try and relieve it or wait for something to maybe happen?

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 10:37:01 AM »
Uberti seems to have a tough time getting a fixed firing pin (the firing pin on their SAA, for example moves a little) to go through the center of a hole.  The first thing I do with any of their conversions or their 72 open tops is completely take them apart and the install just the hammer in the bare frame.  Then move the hammer in and out very slowing feeling for drag or interference with the firing pin hole.  If their is then you can either polish the pin or the frame where it is hitting.  You want to get everything so there is no interference or you will get a hammered out firing pin pin hole or a bent firing pin.  On a 72 its easy to replace the firing pin.  However, the pin on the conversions is rivited on and is a pain to change.  If there is significant interference, you may want to sent them back.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 02:51:38 PM »
FCK,
Could you tell what they had done to the pistols when they were returned?

Mine are still unfired, I'll have to look at them tomorrow.

~Mako

They exchanged them for other ones. One rattled like a toy it was so loose. The other had frame pin holes drilled WAY off, one looked like a raise mole hill. The 3rd I don't remember.

Offline Leverluver

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 07:12:51 PM »
Don't have that particular problem but the hammer did interfere with the frame in another way.  The firing pin extended below the hammer at the rear edge and the frame had a ledge, from incorrect milling.  The rear edge of the firng pin would catch on the milled ledge on cocking.  Another pieve is that I ordered a 44 colt as I already had a RM in that cartridge as well as the fact that I load overly warm 44 Specials for other stronger revolvers.  I didn't want a II or any other OT around that anyone (including me) could stick a round in it that would dismantle it.  Well the 44 C chamber will take the 44 Sp just fine.  In fact, it isn't too dang far from accepting a 44 mag.  It didn't go in but it was a lot closer than that a 44 Mag should even go in a 44 SP chamber.  some will think that is just fine but I don't and for good reason.  I really don't know why they even bother with a 44 Colt if the 44 Sp will chamber.  Just make the 44 Sp and be done with it.  Why pay for production and extra markings if they will all chamber everything?  I suspect that the only difference is the marking on the bottom of the barrel.  I'd bet there is no difference at all in the cylinders, just the stamping on the barrels.  Anyway, fair amount of money for a "kit gun" ain't it?  >:(       

Offline Capt'n Jack

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 04:04:40 PM »
Shot my open top for the first time yesterday and on several occasions it would drag forcing me to turn the cylinder by hand.  Upon checking for your problem, I noticed that the loading gate does not align perfectly with the frame unless pushed back.  The very slight edge is probably the issue.  I intend to just use a stone to round the edge slightly so the shell casings will ride over the edge instead of catching on it.  Thanks for bringing up the issue and forcing me to look closer at the gun.

BTY, it shot very well in spite of the small fixed sights, my reloads and my old eyes.
Capt'n Jack was my great great grandfather, a Captain of the Ky Cavalry in the Civil War.  He lived to a ripe old age.

Offline Thai Fighter

• Top Active Citizen
  • Garrish and "B Western" Cheesy since '67
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 08:28:38 PM »
Thanks for the heads up, I'm lucky though.  I had Nate "Kiowa" Jones 'smith both of mine when I ordered them through him.  Drove the price up a little, but it was worth each and every penny.  Just for these reasons.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com