Author Topic: Rapine 350T bullet in the .50-95?  (Read 6713 times)

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Rapine 350T bullet in the .50-95?
« on: April 08, 2009, 07:01:44 AM »
I've been reading about the Rapine 350T bullet mould over on the Spencer forum.  It seems to be similar in size and weight to the Lyman 515139, but it has a much larger lube carrying capacity.  Our long barreled '76s need all the lube they can get when shooting real black powder.  

Has anyone tried the Rapine 350T bullet in .50-95?  It sounds like a good option.

Update - I snagged a photo off the Spencer forum and edited it to just show the Rapine 350T bullet.  It is said to weigh about 358gr.  This is a little heavier than typical for the .50-95.  But original .50-95s had a 1-60 twist, while the Uberti rifles have 1-48.  So I think they can handle a bullet of this size, so long as I keep OA length within spec.

"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline curdog

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Rapine 350T bullet in the .50-95?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 07:54:40 PM »
You should see if anyone would send you a few to try out. If I ever get my 45/60 I was thinking that a custom bullet mold with larger lube grooves would be nice. Let us know if you get a chance to try some.

Offline Backstrap Bill

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 09:45:10 AM »
I have tested this bullet in my 50-95.  With a soft lube, such as SPG, I can shoot a 7 shot string before leading begins and accuracy starts to suffer.  Best accuracy I've gotten with the factory sights on my Uberti 50-95 is 6" @ 100 yards.

I'd be happy to send you a dozen or so for your testing.
Ain't got to where I'm going, but I'm past where I been.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:10:42 AM »

Offline Mossyrock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 10:57:54 AM »
I have tested this bullet in my 50-95.  With a soft lube, such as SPG, I can shoot a 7 shot string before leading begins and accuracy starts to suffer.  Best accuracy I've gotten with the factory sights on my Uberti 50-95 is 6" @ 100 yards.

I'd be happy to send you a dozen or so for your testing.

I have used this bullet extensively in my Taylor Spencer with good results, although I have not tried it at extended distances.  Just out of curiosity, what are you using for a bullet alloy?  In my Spencer, my best results have come from water-quenched wheel weights.  Odd, I know.  In all of my other BP cartridge rifles, my best results came from 1:20, tin/lead.
Mossyrock

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 11:39:54 AM »
Hey Bill,

I'm really glad to hear it is working well.  I was wondering how it would function compared to the lyman 515139 I've been using.  The 350T is apparently .033" longer than the 515139 (.753 vs .720), .013" longer from the crimpgrove to the nose.  My 515139 loaded length is 2.255" which works fine.  If I load the 350T to the crimp groove, that would give me an OAL of 2.268", not sure how that would function.  I may need to seat them a little deeper.  What is your .50-95 OAL with the 350T?

I appreciate the bullet offer.  What size do your bullets drop from the mould?  My groove diameter is .5136".  I would be glad to pay the Pony Express costs.  Please e-mail me at splitdorf@cox.net, I'll give you my particulars.

Mossyrock - what lube are you using?  Is your Spencer a rifle or carbine?
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline Mossyrock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 10:11:23 PM »

Mossyrock - what lube are you using?  Is your Spencer a rifle or carbine?

Carbine, and I am using SPG.
Mossyrock

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 11:19:24 AM »
Mossyrock - What diameter do your 350T's drop from the mould ?  On the Spencer list I've seen mention of both .520" and .513" bullets.  Does Rapine make the mould in different sizes?  My .50-95's groove diameter is .5136" so a .515" bullet would be ideal for me.

Offline Mossyrock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 07:10:43 PM »
Mossyrock - What diameter do your 350T's drop from the mould ?  On the Spencer list I've seen mention of both .520" and .513" bullets.  Does Rapine make the mould in different sizes?  My .50-95's groove diameter is .5136" so a .515" bullet would be ideal for me.

If I recall correctly, they drop at .515".  I haven't cast any bullets with that mould is several months, and sized and lubed everything I cast in my last session.
Mossyrock

Lone Watie

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 08:16:43 PM »
That's just my size  ;)

Looks like I need to add one of these to my mould collection ;D

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Rapine 350T bullet in the .50-95? - Update
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 08:42:00 PM »
Thanks to Backstrap Bill who sent me some sample 350T bullets :)  These bullets really look like the ticket for shooting black powder.  They carry a lot of lube which helps keep the fouling soft.  At around 365gr, they are a tad heavier than typical for the .50-95.  But with the faster 1:48 twist in my Uberti, it should work fine. 

I took one of the 20:1 bullets that BB sent and ran it through my .514" sizer (my groove diameter is .5136").  I did not pump lube into the grooves.  This one weighed 364.95 gr.  I then ran it back into the sizer and filled the groove with my pearl lube, then back to the scale.  It now weighed 366.95 gr.  So the lube weighed 2.0 gr.  This is a huge increase over the Lyman 515139 which is no slouch itself, it carries 1.25 gr of lube. 

This mould is kind of a sleeper, very few people appear to know about it.  It seems to be one of the best kept secrets of the Spencer shooters, but the cat's out of the bag now ;D  My understanding is that it was designed by Rapine specifically for the Taylors spencer carbine (thus the "T" in 350T).  It is not carried by any of the well known dealers. It is only available directly from Rapine.

Looks like I'll be giving Mr. Rapine a call next week :)

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 07:33:01 PM »
Been kinda busy the last 2 weeks, just getting caught up. 

I called Ray Rapine today and ordered a double cavity 350T mould.  I was surprised to learn that the mould is available in 3 diameters; .513", .515" and .518" (give or take a little depending on alloy).  This is really handy since the groove diameter of the these rifles vary considerably.  My goove diameter is .5136", so I ordered the .515" version.  He's running about 4-5 weeks on delivery, but its worth the wait.  When I mentioned that I will be using it in a .50-95, not a Spencer, he said that someone else had called just the other day and ordered the same mould for a .50-95  :o  Woud that be any of you fellers? ;)

Ray's a real nice fella to talk with and gave me some good tips.  But he's getting up there in years and wants to retire.  So if you are thinking about one of these moulds, i wouldn't hesitate too long.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 06:32:05 AM »
Ol' Ray Rapine was sandbagging me...

I called and ordered the 350T mould 10 days ago.  Ray told me it would be 4-5 weeks for delivery.  Well yesterday a brand spankin' new 350T showed up at my door.  Its a nice double cavity mould too.  The grand canyon size lube groove should make shooting black powder much less troublesome ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com