Rifle case patterns, and a hello to all from a newby !

Started by Lily Lockwood, October 23, 2008, 12:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lily Lockwood

Hi Ya'll,  I'm new here and I love leather.  Haven't worked it in many years but want to get back into it again now.

I don't have a machine obviously, but do have a 1895 Marlin 357 rifle that I would love a case to carry it in.  I'm a mountaieer type girl so I'd like to make a frontier style carry case.

Does anyone have any patterns? or suggestions.

I appreciate any help.          Thank ya kindly      :D
Just a lil ol' southern gal....gone out west   :)

The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.  ... Thomas Paine

Mogorilla

Not sure what kind of case you are looking to make, Me, I like fringe.  Tried to base this off of the one John Wayne had in the Searchers and a Crow one I saw in a museum.  I did this last year for my Henry

Pattern is easy, just a long triangle shape, the length of the rifle and twice the width plus 1.5" at the base to the tip.   You can adapt it to have a toe plug or not, at the base of the triangle, have half the width be about 6" longer, sew it inside out, including a long piece for fring (tucked inside) when you turn it right side out, cut the fringe.  If you want to bead, do that before you sew it up.

outrider

Howdy Lily,

I believe that Will Ghormley has a pattern pack for rifle scabbards.  willghormley-maker.com

welcome to the forum
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Lily Lockwood

Thanks for the quick replies, I am looking for a frontiersman or moutaineering style case.

I do like the picture that was sent.  Thanks alot for the instructions and the link. 

Now I need to get the leather picked out

The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.  ... Thomas Paine

knucklehead

Lily,

For frontiermans style check out this forum.

http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/fusionbb.php?

its a muzzleloading forum that covers everything from out to build, shoot your rifle/handgun and all the accessorys that a muzzleloader carried back in their time period.

the people on that forum are a great bunch and they are period correct in the stuff they use and show/discuss on that forum

I'M #330 DIRTY RAT.

ChuckBurrows

Here's a few to look at - The first four are originals.........

A copy of the Quigley case I did - the decoration is painted on and the forward half is buckstitched.....

A Comanche carrying one circa 1834 - some had shoulder straps for carrying.......

Mo's instructions are pretty spot on, but not all were an exact taper and not all were turned the whole length, just the latter half. Some were made in two pieces, one for the barrel section and another for the action back - all are variations on the same theme though......

Also see the databases at www.splendidheritage.com and http://anthro.amnh.org/anthropology/databases/north_public/north_public.htm  - do search for search for rifle, case, scabbard, etc.

For leather - the originals were almost all made from braintain - there are several sources inclduing www.braintan.com - the only downside is it is expensive - usually $12-20.00 a square foot. For a good substitute I can highly recommend the German Tan sold by www.crazycrow.com - it has the look and feel of real braintan at around $7.00 a square foot - they even sell it smoked....

any other help please ask........
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

ChuckBurrows

here's a couple of more with carrying straps and the upper one is made in two pieces as I described above....

aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Lily Lockwood

WOW !!!
Thanks for all the pictures, These are exactly what I am interested in, You guys are great !!!  I could look at these pictures all day, I am a perfectionist so, I'll use a bit of all of them to make it unique.  Then I'll think about making thigs for the husband !!!      ;D

Lil

Mogorilla

Thanks for the original images Chuck.  Now I may have to make another one!!

kid sheleen

Welcome to the forum Lily!  You'll find a bunch of guys here are willing to give you pointers and just generally help out if they can.  I don't do much of the buckskinning or early stuff, but if I can help out, let me know.  By the way, aren't you sposed to think of your husband first?  Being a husband myself I know I think MY wife should!(she don't either). :D ;D :D
kid
www.circlemleather.com

Lily Lockwood

Hi Kid,   Thanks for the help offer.

I did talk to my husband first but leather just happens to be one of my old hobbies.
We seem to have the oposite past knowledge of crafty stuff.  He is all music and brains and I'm the creative crafty one.!!!!!
I guess thats why we get along so well.  except of course, we both love to shoot things.!!!      ::) ::) ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com