Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff, (#1) THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Started by Capt. Jack McQuesten, April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Johnny  :D

Thanks for the flowers, it's been more fun than I can tell you , to be able to make things the way I invision them, reading the post, from all you pards out there and Chuck Burrows and also my mentor Wayne Christenson, I'm SURROUNDED by the best. So much knowledge out there , I try to gather as much as I can.

Have a Merry Christmas Johnny  :D

Ten Wolves  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: Johnny McCrae on December 12, 2007, 04:25:11 PMI want to make a new rig for myself over the winter months so I'm making some practice holsters and tying a few new things. I just finished a Mexican Loop style with a large skirt. Don't know if I like the brass spots on the loop or the embossing on the skirt.
the spots and border work nicely. The whole thing looks balanced. I like the partial skirt. My current match holsters are similar. Good design, there.

Quote from: dalton masterson on December 12, 2007, 05:11:00 PMthe one thing I did different was put the next size larger spot in the center. Gave it a focal point so to speak.
This could be a good idea. I'll remember that for any I may do myself.

Quote from: Ten Wolves Fiveshooter on December 12, 2007, 08:52:26 PMI just finished this money belt and 3/4 skirt cheyenne holsters, and a knife sheath
You did well on it. Good looking finish, all right. I guess I'll have to get Chuck's DVD myself one of these days. Nice work.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Dr. Bob

Howdy 10 Wolves,

Boy howdy, that Johnny McCrae took the words right out of my mouth.  Yes siree Bob, mighty fine looking rig!! ;D  Got a spot of drool to wipe off of the keyboard! :o ;)
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Dalton,

Great looking Walker Holster! I like the way you did the Rosette and the border stamping. I'll have to try that.

Thats a good idea to use a larger spot in the center for a focal point.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Gents  :D

Thanks Marshal Will & Dr. Bob, for the kind words , it was a lot of fun putting this together, and now I'm looking forward to another project. ;)

Mongorilla, thats a handsome rifle sleeve, it must of taken you a long time to do all of that fringe , nice work  ;D I could use a few sleeves like this my ownself.

Dalton I don't know how I missed your holster , you did a beautifull job their, you even tooled the back side, I'm glad I caught Johnnys post or I would have missed this, are you going to wear this high or low on the hip, those Walkers are pretty heavy, nice job.

Happt Hollidays to all ;)

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Mogorilla

As long as it takes to cut fringe, it did not hold a candle to turn that dang sleeve rightside out.  The beading was attached to a separate piece of leather then that used to reinforce the nose of the sleeve.   It thought I was going to have a sleeve that looked real fancy on the inside! :-[
10 wolves, Johnny, and Dalton, all sweet looking work.  A Walker sure would look nice on my hips.   Great stuff guys.  Happy holidays.

Dalton Masterson

I guess I mispoke on the larger spot thing. I used a larger one in the center, then smaller ones on the outside. Same premise tho.
I made a pair of these for my 1860 and 51, but ended up shoving my wifes new opentops in em until she gets her barrels cut off. Tried that Tandy Institutional dye, and cant recommend it much. Kinda blahhhh.

I carry that Walker crossdraw whereever it wants to hang on my belt, but it rides fairly high. Cant argue with it too much, with that much weight. I can carry it all day during a match tho, in relative comfort. Usually gets handed to enough people wanting to see it that I get a break every little bit.

As far as decorating the back side, I always put the date, and try to put a Colt stamp on if its made for Colt. Then Rugers shouldnt stretch it out. The rest is just fluff for me to see, And it makes good practice time.
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Dalton,

Thanks for posting your 1851 & 1860 Holsters. I really like the Spot treatment. I'll have to try that.

Those are some great lookin Holsters!

You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Silver_Rings

You fellows are doing some mighty fine work there.  You all should be proud. :)

SR
Gunfighter, SASS 27466, NRA Life, GOFWG, BOSS, RO 1, RO 2

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Dalton  :)

You did a nice job on this holster, I like the look and the graduating spots are a nice touch, you don't see this holster to much and thats to bad , I've always liked the style, maybe after some of the pards see youirs , we will start to see more rigs like this out there pretty soon . 8)

Happy Holidays  ;D

Ten Wolves ;) :D ;D

Marshal Will Wingam

Graduating the sizes of the spots does do the holster nicely, Dalton. It really makes them look good. Thanks for the pics.

outrider

Howdy Pards:

Thought I would put up these two pictures of my dungeon
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

outrider

Howdy Pards:

Here is a small holster that I just finished for a Bond Snake Slayer derringer. 
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

outrider

Here is a pic of the rear of the snake slayer with the belt clip
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Marshal Will Wingam

I like the way you mounted the clip on that holster, Outrider. Just the right amount of holster backing the piece to keep oil off your clothes and prevent the hammer from digging nto your side. Looks nice.

Great workspace, there. I still don't have a good place to fiddle. If you find yourself short on space, I'll give you $150 for that old white Ferdco.

:D

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Outrider  :D

You have a nice work area there , and it looks like you keep it clean & neat , and thats the way it should be, a place for everything and everything in it place, that's what my Dad used to pond into me all the time, when I would use his shop, he'd say just remember to put everything back where you got it , and now I'm just like him.
           You did a nice job on this holster too, the clip looks like it would be a good way to go with a holster this size, fine job all around.

Merry Christmas  :D

outrider

Howdy Pards:

Thanks much for the compliments

Marshall...I bet you would give me $150.00 for it    ;D 
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Forty Rod

I raise the bid to $154.76

That's all that's left after I bought milk and cookies for Santa.   ;D
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Dr. Bob

Wow, a bidding war.  Wait till eBay hears about this! :o ::) ;)
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Seth Shaw

Here are a few shots of my 1st attempt at a gun rig;

http://www.iammercy.net/dace/Cowboy/Gunleather%20003.jpg
http://www.iammercy.net/dace/Cowboy/Gunleather%20004.jpg

Not great but not god awful either. Needless to say I learned SO much from my first fumbling, stumbling efforts. Having said that, here are some shots of my 2nd attempt to make myself a rig I can use for SASS events;

http://www.iammercy.net/dace/Cowboy/Drop%20Holster%20Rig%20003.jpg
http://www.iammercy.net/dace/Cowboy/Drop%20Holster%20Rig%20005.jpg
http://www.iammercy.net/dace/Cowboy/Drop%20Holster%20Rig%20006.jpg

Overall, I am VERY pleased with how this rig is coming together. The crossdraw holster for this setup is outside drying in the sun, hopefully the wet moulding works out well. Crossdraws always give me a hell of a time, so I am hoping this time around I ironed out most of the bugs by using a less severe drawing angle, a more secure & stable fold along the belt line and a beefier buckle/strap combo to secure the holster to the skirt.

Thanks for lookin' pards!
See me takin' shots at the bar like I'm bullet-proof.
USFA-CSS #176

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com