Leathersmiths.....show us yer stuff, (#1) THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Started by Capt. Jack McQuesten, April 07, 2004, 01:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommy tornado

Irish Dave, What color die did you use?  I love it!
Keep your pants and your powder dry!
# 356056

Dalton Masterson

Wow! That looks great! I am with the Marshall on the border! How about adding it to the border library here.
http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,15766.0.html
Very well done. DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Irish Dave

Thank you, pards.

Would this do?

Will:
The outer and middle borders are rolled on with hand embossing tools.

Tommy:
It's a cordovan dye, thinned and applied in multiple coats and hand rubbed after each one. Don't really have a set "formula," in fact, I probably never do it exactly the same way twice. I just kinda work it till I get the look I want.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: Irish Dave on August 13, 2007, 10:54:09 PMThe outer and middle borders are rolled on with hand embossing tools.
Thanks, I have a roller with a similar look but the spacing is way wider than that one. I'd never thought about using it on a border. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for the detail.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Slowhand Bob

Irish Dave, that is absolutely beautiful.  It is a credit to your workmanship that you could have stayed so consistantly perfect with those borders.  Makes me want to go practice with my little tool set!

Major 2

OK then it ain't Cowboy
This is one of the helmets I made for the TNT film Tecumseh

It is a copy of the early militia dragoon helmet
All leather with a pewter plate and Brass scales on leather chin strap ,horse hair comb .
If you should watch the film watch for the actor, riding with Gen. William Henry Harrison  ( later President Harrison)
in my roll as a Cornet *,  and aide to camp.   

[Dead link removed by moderator]

when planets align...do the deal !

Marshal Will Wingam

That's really fascinating, Major, I've never seen one before. Nice job getting the compound curves. I'm impressed. Thanks for posting it.

Dr. Bob

Maj. 2,

If you ever get out to the mid-west, the Cavalry Museum at Ft. Riley has a couple of similar helmets on display.

I'm still in my WWI Uniform from volunteering at the National WWI Museum at the Liberty Memorial for the VFW.  A wonderful group.  Got my picture taken numerous times.  I have an original WWI officers uniform that I can squeeze into and wear it when I volunteer sometimes.  Then wore it to Tango, the girls like a fellow in uniform. ;) ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Major 2

Years ago , I was at Riley , fascinating place ... We  (the 7 ILL Vol. Cavalry) rode from Leavenworth to Ft. Riley in uniform.
About 24 of us ... then a few of us the next year did a mounted Black Hills trek.

but the best was the 13 day campaign ...La Grange, Tenn. to Mobile, Al.  through Holly Springs NP to Newton (Station) and on south.
We made front page news.....
Yankees on Horseback in the deep south , we were received like kings  :)

Thanks for the complements...  :)
when planets align...do the deal !

Buffalo

I just got done with these two projects. I just oiled the scabbard. So it will not be as dark when it soaks in. Now I've off hunting to break them in.
Buff

[Dead links removed by moderator]

Marshal Will Wingam

Fine work, Buffalo. Those look really good. I like the border stamp. The saddlemaker I learned from had one like it that he made from a piece of steel. He got me started making my own stamps. That is one of the first ones I made. Enjoy your trip.

will ghormley

Boy, you guys have been busy while I've been...doin' other stuff.  Compared to some of the stuff I've just seen, I'm rather embarrassed to make a post, but I will anyway.

Mostly this is about "3:10 to Yuma" anyway, and not about new leather I've done.  I just added a quick review of "Yuma" to my "Yuma" page of my web-site.  The movie is worth seein' if you 'aint doin' anything else Friday night.  Me an' some of my boys is goin' to be at a local theater with our guns and hats, hoo'rawin' the crowd.  It aught to be a hoot.  You can see the review at:  http://www.willghormley-maker.com/310toYuma.html

See ya' on the range,
Will
"When Liberty is illegal, only the outlaws will be free."  Will Ghormley

"Exploit your strengths.  Compensate for your weaknesses."
Will Ghormley

Marshal Will Wingam

Thanks for the link to your stuff, Will. Good work. I'm going to see the movie tomorrow night. I guess I'll get to see your gear in action. Literally. Thanks for the post.

Triggersmith

I happened to run across a Celtic Sporran and really like the design.  I decided to make one for my carryall. It took me a while to figure out how it went together.  Usually they are made of a lighter leather but I used 4 to 5 oz. The only trick is once you have it sewed inside out, you have to wet it and turn it right side out. There are a couple of parts better finished while it is still in pieces, but as you know when flying by the seat of your britches you realize that too late.  Hence the creation of wierd sewing implements. The straps are just a belt and buckle with a couple chain snaps.  They hook into two D rings in the back. I use the new Tandy ECO-FLO dye and man do I like it and the colors available are very cool.  I used a Bison Brown. Enough chatter. Here are the photos.  It is comfortable and once you get the correct sequence of assembly, it is also very easy to make.
Any questions email me at:
bluesman@acd.net
Triggersmith.
Watch yer topknot
Triggersmith
See my ads in Cas City Classifieds

Irish Dave

NCOWS Marshal Retired
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Triggersmith

I kinda figured I'd hear from you Dave.  I'll be thankin' ya. That's high praise from a craftsman such as yourself.
Triggersmith
Watch yer topknot
Triggersmith

Irish Dave

You're very welcome, pard. You did a good job. I especially like the finish, it has a very nice authentic/antique look.
NCOWS Marshal Retired
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Triggersmith

You are very kind Dave.  It is my understanding the traditional color preferences were either dark brown or black.  I really like dark brown.
Triggersmith
Watch yer topknot
Triggersmith

Forty Rod

Man. I REALLY like that.  I've thought for years that a sporran would be good for that, but never did anything about it.

You done good.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Triggersmith

Much obliged Forty Rod.  It's nice to have your work appreciated.
Triggersmith
Watch yer topknot
Triggersmith

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com