For a display

Started by cowboywc, August 30, 2008, 08:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cowboywc

Howdy All
My local leather guild is putting a display of our leather work in a library.
I wanted the people viewing the pieces to know they are not stamped on a giant press like so many people
think. So I did this step by step carving.
What do you think?
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Gun Butcher

Cowboy WC , that is impressive to say the least.  I love the tool impression in the upper right hand corner. That makes the whole display.  I am also jealous that you have an actual leather guild at your disposal. It must make sharing ideas and techniques a real kick when you can see the actual thing in person.   GB
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

;D ;D ;D :D ;) :o 8) Fantastic Pard, great job, and this will be a big help to all, thanks for sharing. :D ;D

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Dalton Masterson

Very nice WC!! I think I am gonna make that a screensaver for awhile.
Gunbutcher, I think we have a leather guild here now on Cas City. I know that anytime anyone has a question, needs ideas, or needs  help, someone on here will be able to help out. DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Gun Butcher

;D  You know, you are absolutly right Dalton. Don't care if we call it a guild or not, there has never been a bunch of folks so willing to share ideas and give a helping hand.
What really stands out is all the pards that do this for a living that are so wiiling to help. It would be very easy for them to say send it to me and I will fix it for $$$.  Makes me proud just to be allowed to sit down at the table and jaw with all of you whenever I get the chance.
                            Gun Butcher
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

cowboywc

Howdy All
Yes it is nice to have a local guild. "The Leathercraft Guild" is the oldest guild. It's been around since 1949. Many of the great masters have been members. http://www.sbearstradingpost.com/LeathercraftGuild.html
We meet here at my store every other month and the odd months we have a meeting hall. The hall has no place for us to work but has a 60 big screen tv, so we watch a how-to video or dvd there. We will then have a workshop here about it next month.
I am VP of that guild.
I also belong to the International Internet Leathercrafters Guild. It is world wide. We have many masters as well as suppliers as members. Info freely flows there as well. http://www.iilg.net/
I also teach classes here 4 nights a week (2 beginners, 1 intermediate and 1 advanced) and private classes on Fri nights. I have been teaching for over 12 years.
WC

Don101

Very nicely executed and i love the wood grain frame, Don

Marshal Will Wingam

That's really outstanding. I agree that the stamp in the upper right corner is a great idea. The whole thing is a good idea. I want one. Here, take this watch..... Seriously, that could be a great poster if you wanted to have it done as one. I'd buy one. It wouldn't be as effective as the real item, but it would be a fine addition to any class situation. Nice work, pard. Dalton had a good idea to use it for a screensaver. It would be a really nice desktop. Put it on a T-shirt. Placemats. Mouse pads. Refrigerator magnets. Boxer shorts. You could even put it on a .... . .. . .. .. .

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Black Powder

Message effectively delivered.  Very nice.

BP
I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

cowboywc

Howdy All
The reduced size to post lost some of the quality.
If anyone wants a larger file of it let me know. I also have shots of each square. Large pix.
WC

Judge Lead

MW,
'you could even put it on a .....  .... ...  '  what are you trying to say  :P :-[ :o ;D :D

Regards
When we were younger, the days seemed to drag. As we get older, we wish they would.

kid sheleen

I think that is a wonderful thing to show how the work gets done, as well as to explain to the novice how much time and effort we put into our work, pros and hobbiests.  So often people don't really know what is involved in leatherworking, and they don't appreciate the craftsmanship and skill put into the art.
kid
www.circlemleather.com

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: Judge Lead on August 31, 2008, 02:40:54 AMMW,
'you could even put it on a .....  .... ...  '  what are you trying to say  :P :-[ :o ;D :D
Well, this is a public forum, you know. ;D

Hey, WC, I'd love a large copy of it for a desktop photo. You still have my email? Thanks.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

santee

Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Pitspitr

Quote from: cowboywc on August 31, 2008, 01:31:14 AM
The reduced size to post lost some of the quality.
If anyone wants a larger file of it let me know. I also have shots of each square. Large pix.
WC

OOO OOO OO! ME! ME! I want one!

I've been really discouraged with the quality of my carving for quite a while and have gone almost exclusively to gemetrics and basket weaves. I thought if I printed your photo out maybe I could pick up some pointers or see something you do differently, but like you said there isn't enough detail. If you could email a copy to me at pitspitr@nctc.net I sure would appreciate it.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Johnny Dingus

Great Job WC,

Just got a book called Leathercrafting that has a simmilar theme.  The problem I have with it is that it is hard to thumb through the pages to get to each stage.

Your carving if it was on a poster up on a wall near where I could look at it while I try to carve would be a great help.

Thanks WC for doing this.

If you would e-mail me a copy also.

Johnny Dingus
Spittin Lead and Packin Steel

Not Looking for a Fight but not Runnin Either

Shootin 45LC Ruger Vaqueros, 45LC USFA
Sass 70597  Yeah they count that far
Rat 285
USFA CSS 166

cowboywc

Johnny
Send me your e-mail address.
WC

Dalton Masterson

WC, I would like a digital copy as well please. Thank you! DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

cowboywc

Howdy DM
send me your e-mail address
WC

HorsePen Henry

Hidy WC, did ya get my private message I sent ya. I want one too if ya ain't swamped.

Many thanks,

X Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com