Taking a Chance

Started by Cimarron Lawman, June 23, 2008, 06:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cimarron Lawman

Check out http://www.bpstuffllc.com/about.htm

It might be worth taking a chance. I have a gun I'd like to send him.

hellgate

I welcome your report. Case hardening a trigger is pretty easy but the hammer takes more heat than my propane torch can supply.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

waffenmacht

He has some great deals, especially on "de-farbing" italian pistols.

waffenmacht

I just sent my 58 in to this guy....should be getting a go-over on my de-farb job, restamping the ser# under the barrel, and fire-blueing.  Also adding treseo nipples.  I will let you guys know when it arrives, and of course post pics.

waffenmacht

Got my 1858 back, and let me tell you guys it is AWESOME!  I could not have spent my money better.  The weapon was de-farbed, polished and fire blued.  I will post some pics as soon as I get a chance.  BPStuff does great work.

Steel Horse Bailey

That's great to hear.  Deadguy posts on here - I don't know if he's the gun mechanic, the owner, salesman or "all the above" but from what I've seen he's gonna get some more business.  And if possible, some of MINE!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Wolfgang

Nice to hear good reports about his work.  Thanks for posting.  Interested in hearing more.

Good shootin', . . . .  :)
Beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it.

waffenmacht

Pics as promised.  They really dont do the gun justice, but then I am no photographer either.  The finish of the "fire-blue" changes varies in the light, from black, gold to blue, to purple.  This may be the best money Ive ever spent on having a firearm refinished, considering how inexpensive it was in the end. 

Marshal Will Wingam

That is a work of art. The de-farbing is a nice touch. Outstanding finish. :D Thanks for the pics.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Steel Horse Bailey

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Trinity

Very nice, Waffen.  I now know I'll have to send him somethin' before he gets too busy!
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

waffenmacht

Ranger report:

Took her out to the range this morning and fired 12 rounds.  She ran smooth as glass.  Well, she still smokes a bit!

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Ka Boom, Nice SMOKE, thanks for sharing

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Trinity

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee - Haaaaawwwwwwwwww!!!

;D ;D ;D

Thanks for sharing!
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Angel_Eyes

Forgive an ignorant Limey, but what the hell is "de-farbing" when it's at home, and how is 'fire bluing' done???
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!

hellgate

Dear Ignorant Limey.
I LOVE it when folks are self deprecating. ;D  Defarbing the process of making the gun look original by removing the evidence of modern manufacturer like "Made in Italy" "Black powder only" and Italian proof marks. Often the guns have the bluing removed or restored to an original or antique appearance. The intent is not to defraud the next buyer into thinking it is an original but merely to look like a gun that might have been used in the conflict for which it is famous. Many of the North-South Skirmish Association (N/SSA) and American Civil War re-enactors like their reproduction firearms defarbed. I have no idea where the term came from as I had not recognized it before even though I have been a civil war buff since the  early 1960 but never lived where re-enacting was going on but figured it out when I read how someone "defarbed" their rifled musket to to look very original by doing various things to it.
I am still ignorant of fire bluing as are you.
Hellgate, ignorant Yank (and sometimes Confederate)
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Angel_Eyes

Well thank you Hellgate, nice to be appreciated. I had an inkling that was what was happening, do the guns have to be re-proofed afterwards? The only 'blueing' I do is for small parts and I always use used engine oil, I think the dissolved carbon seems to give a deeper finish.
UK shooter
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!

hellgate

The defarbing does nothing to affect the function of safety of the gun, just cosmetic changes. I don't know if they remove the Italian proof marks, I suppose so. Nothing leaves the factory/country unless proofed anyway. I've actually never looked at a defarbed revolver.

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

waffenmacht

I had my pistol "de-farbed" by removing all the modern markings and serial numbers.  Then a new serial number was stamped under the barrel in the correct, origonal location.  Now I would love to have the origonal type markings added, but no one seems to have the roll-marks for them.   Maybe someday in the future.  I believe the term "farb" came from the ww2 reenacting community here in the US.  A "farb" is a reenactor who has incorrect period gear or equipment for a specific reenactment.  For example, someone with a 1945 dated rifle, reenacting a 1942 battle would be scolded as a "Farb".

As for fire-blueing, just click over to BPStuff's website for more details.  His web addy can be found in the first post.

Frenchie

"Farb" is from the 1960s Civil War Centennial reenactment days. Farb is German for 'color' and farben means 'colors', 'colored', or 'colorful'. Farby has come to mean inaccurate, incorrect, out of place, but its most proper use IMO is for the wildly-dressed reenactors who are trying to stand out by being COLORFUL;D
Yours, &c.,

Guy 'Frenchie' LaFrance
Vous pouvez voir par mes vĂȘtements que je ne suis pas un cowboy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com