Got to shoot my two rifles!

Started by Dirty Brass, June 10, 2008, 10:27:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirty Brass

I finally got a chance to shoot both my 45/60 carbine model and my 45/75 28" model, both Cimmaron guns. Both were loaded with pyrodex RS. What a rush! I loved the smoke, boom, and sparks that exited the muzzle end - wow! :)

Accuracy was pretty good too. The 45/60 shot about an inch high at a measured 65 yards, and held a near 5 inch group. The 45/75 did a little better, consistantly hitting the bottom side of a bowling pin, and grouping an easy 4 inches (which isn't bad for my 58 year old eyes). I'll have to get used to that crecent butt plate (got nailed once when bench resting it), but I am extremely pleased with the results and the FUN!

One thing I did see was the 45/60 seemed to blow back and discolor the cases almost to the rim, while the 45/75 seemed much tighter and the cases looked cleaner. These 45/75 cases were reformed 348 cases, while the 45/60 cases were cut down 45/70.

Mossyrock

You can thank the shoulder on the 45-75 for the lack of blowback.  Now that you have your 45-60 cases fireformed, try neck sizing them only.  That should help a bit with the blowback.

You mention that your 45-60 is a carbine.  Is is a true saddle ring carbine, or a 22" octagon short rifle?
Mossyrock

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie

Dirty Brass

It's just a 22 inch short rifle that Cimmaron offers. Here's a pic of the two lever guns.

I'll neck size the reloads on both calibers from here on.

Grizzly Adams

The neck sizing will help, but I suspect that after a couple of resizing/firing cycles, the problem will go away.  Actually, the 45-60 has just a bit of a bottle neck - at least mine do.  I use C-H/4D dies.  I get zero blowback on the cases with my Uberti 45-60, or with my original 1876.

Dang, two of  these beasties, and one in each caliber!  I am green with envy!  Next you need to get the "big 50." ;D
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Dirty Brass

I thought I had read somewhere that the 45/60 had a slight bottleneck, different than the 45/70 cases I cut down from. Maybe after a few firings it with fit the chamber tighter. I really love these guns. I actually picked up a Marlin CB 45/70, but haven't even put around through it yet. Too much fun with the '76's!

When I first started looking at these, I purchased a 50/95 in 28" from Taylors. It had drop-dead georgeous wood on it, but I just didn't care for the imprinting they had on the barrel. So, I sold it for a buck or two less than I got it for, and went for the 45/75. All they ahad at that time was 45/60 - and that's how I ended up with both. When the 45/75's came in I was on the list for one immediately, especially after seeing the quality of the Uberti guns. I think they are great! I'm hemming and hawwing over the big 50 now again. Maybe next year. Right now I'm in the process of selling a different big 50 - a Browning M2HB beltfed :)

McLernon

Having trouble with my 45-75. What recipe do you use in yours??

Thanks

Mc

john boy

CCI LR Primer - 23gr XMP 5744 with either the Lee 350gr or the Lyman remake bullet:
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com