Overseas Spam

Started by Doc Burns, April 23, 2008, 10:57:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doc Burns

Just thought I would let everyone know I just recieved an E-Mail from some ""gal"" on the ivory coast that started her letter with "I got your address from www.cascity.com". It was one of the scams trying to get me to accept money from everseas. I just wanted to let people know about this. ::) >:(
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body , But rather to skid in broadside,thoroughly used up,completely worn out,and loudly proclaiming ... WOW WHAT A RIDE !

Camille Eonich

Doc, in your profile you have the option of making your e-mail address private.  I always select this option in my profiles because otherwise your e-mail address goes into the html of each post that you put on a forum.  There is special software that scans page after page on site after site harvesting those e-mail addresses and there is really no way to stop them without also stopping search bots and other software that does good things for sites.

If you want to hide your e-mail address and reduce the opportunity for spammers to get a hold of it then go to your profile, click account related settings and then check the box that says "Hide e-mail from public"
"Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left."
― Clint Eastwood

Buffalo Creek Law Dog

I just received one.  Same thing, got my email address through this site.  I'll be changing my email status.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Camille Eonich

Also, please forward the e-mail to the FTC.

http://www.ftc.gov/spam/

QuoteIf you get spam email that you think is deceptive, forward it to spam@uce.gov. The FTC uses the spam stored in this database to pursue law enforcement actions against people who send deceptive email.

"Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left."
― Clint Eastwood

Sgt. Jake

Thanks  Camille I just changed mine,I got one also,Thanks.    Sgt. Jake

Steel Horse Bailey

I tried to change my e-mail addy status and it won't accept the change.

I found this out because my pal, Jed Cooper, got one of those e-mails and I went to the profile section (on my computer), and with him on his computer (we were on the phone together because he knows even less 'bout confusers than I do) and BOTH our computers failed to allow the change.

Thanks
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Deadeye Don

Quote from: Steel Horse Bailey on May 04, 2008, 10:20:53 PM
I tried to change my e-mail addy status and it won't accept the change.

I found this out because my pal, Jed Cooper, got one of those e-mails and I went to the profile section (on my computer), and with him on his computer (we were on the phone together because he knows even less 'bout confusers than I do) and BOTH our computers failed to allow the change.

Thanks

Jeff,  Did you provide your password at the bottom of the page before submitting the change in email status? 
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Steel Horse Bailey

Quote from: Deadeye Don on May 05, 2008, 10:34:08 AM
Jeff,  Did you provide your password at the bottom of the page before submitting the change in email status? 

Yep. 
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Deadeye Don

Did ya clear your history and cookies?  You will have to resupply your screen name and password to get back on cas city.  Then try to change the email designation.  If that doesnt work, bring it to the next shoot as a "special target".
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Steel Horse Bailey

Quote from: Deadeye Don on May 05, 2008, 06:09:57 PM
Did ya clear your history and cookies?  You will have to resupply your screen name and password to get back on cas city.  Then try to change the email designation.  If that doesnt work, bring it to the next shoot as a "special target".

Nope.  Didn't try that ... but I will.

Thx!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com