Author Topic: Chaparral rifles at CDNN  (Read 14025 times)

Offline Mike D.

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Chaparral rifles at CDNN
« on: December 17, 2007, 10:28:12 AM »
CDNN Investments has several models of Chaparral rifles on sale, including the 1876s. Their prices simply cannot be beat. Check them out. The catalogue is in PDF format and has over a hundred pages, but the Chaparrals are on pg 66.

I may end up with a short rifle in .50-95.

www.cdnninvestments.com/dowournewcat.html

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Chaparral rifles at CDNN
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 10:32:58 AM »
Best check with folks who know these guns.  "It's been said" that they may be seconds or rejects and could be dangerous or flawed beyond being usable. 

With that in mind, and against the advice of several people that I respect and admire, I ordered a 28" octagonal barrelled 1876 in .45-60.  It should be here in time for Christmas morning.  I'll post more when I know more.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Crotchety Old Grouch

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 11:12:43 AM »
There was a thread about them running on the SASS wire a few days back.

Here's a link;

http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=84970

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:22:22 AM »

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 11:16:36 AM »
It is my understanding that these units being sold by CDNN were originally intended for Charles Daly.  They were mis marked as "Charles Daily" and were passed over to CDNN.  It should also be noted, that Charles Daly is on record (on TOB) for support in terms of warranty issues, if any.  This may be a great opportunity to get one of these at a bargain basement price. :)

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Offline Mike D.

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 08:50:03 PM »
 A few years ago, I bought 2 1886 Winchester EL rifles from them for $599. each. They are perfect in every way, so maybe there is nothing about the Chaparral guns that is worrisome. Admittedly, there is a world of difference beteen Japanese guns and Italian made ones, but it can't all be bad. :P

Offline Hobie

• Top Active Citizen
    • Shooting with Hobie
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 08:44:31 AM »
If one was to get a .50-95 for conversion to Express Rifle format this is the way to go.  One would be changing so much anyway that any faults would be a minor consideration. 
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 09:13:46 AM »
The "deal killer" on those Japanese '86's was the tang safety. I knew a lot of people who wanted one as the earlier Browning versions are hard to find (and costly) but no one wanted that awful non-authentic tang safety.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 04:43:12 PM »
Was just notified by my FFL guy that the rifle will be here Friday.  YAY!!!

Howwinnell am I gonna explain this to my wife?  I just bought a Browning '86 rifle standard grade a month ago.  It's under the tree right now.  I'll never get away with two so close together.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 07:06:32 PM »
Wasust notified by my FFL guy that the rifle will be here Friday.  YAY!!!

Howwinnell am I gonna explain this to my wife?  I just bought a Browning '86 rifle standard grade a month ago.  It's under the tree right now.  I'll never get away with two so close together.

By the pricking of my thumbs.......!  I think you may be in deep doo doo, pard!  Hey, lead with your chin - worked for me this month!  Har! ;D

....and don't for the PICS when you get it! ;)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
GAF

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 07:24:16 PM »
I'm going to have to get some help with the pics. 

This rifle fills out my hand.  I'll have an example of every Winchester-made lever rifle from the 1860 Henry to the 1895, the last one introduced in the 19th Century:  Henry, '66, '73, '76, '86, '92, '94, '95.  I need them like a pig needs a side saddle, but I wanted them. 

Only the '94 is a real Winchester-made gun.

I'll work on a photo spread after the first of the year.

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 07:39:08 PM »
I'm going to have to get some help with the pics. 

This rifle fills out my hand.  I'll have an example of every Winchester-made lever rifle from the 1860 Henry to the 1895, the last one introduced in the 19th Century:  Henry, '66, '73, '76, '86, '92, '94, '95.  I need them like a pig needs a side saddle, but I wanted them. 

Only the '94 is a real Winchester-made gun.

I'll work on a photo spread after the first of the year.

Give me a shout when your ready, and I can help - I think! :D

Sounds like a great collection you have there, 40 Rod! :)
GAF

Offline Mike D.

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 08:58:30 PM »
The "deal killer" on those Japanese '86's was the tang safety. I knew a lot of people who wanted one as the earlier Browning versions are hard to find (and costly) but no one wanted that awful non-authentic tang safety.

Get rid of the tang safety, I did. That, and the rebounding hammer.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2007, 12:32:38 AM »
I was thinking about a Browning '86 for many months.  One day I decided to go on line and advertise for one.  Figured it would take some time to find one.  Got an answer back in two days, secured the deal in three more and had the rifle in my hands less than a week later. 

New unmarked (and probably unfired) rifle, no box or manuals, $1,300.00 delivered to my hand.

I couldn't duplicate that kind of luck again, and the price was fully $500.00 less than some I'd seen on line.

Offline Mike D.

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2007, 11:17:27 AM »
If one was to get a .50-95 for conversion to Express Rifle format this is the way to go.  One would be changing so much anyway that any faults would be a minor consideration. 

I wish that the Chaparral '76s came in a round barreled version. I would be happy to spring for a 22" RB gun with pistol grip and shotgun butt.

Offline OKDEE

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2007, 09:12:32 AM »
Mike D,  Happy New YEAR 2008!

The Chaparral does come in a round barrel, but only (I think) in the NWMP Carbine version.  Which is the 45-75 caliber.

Sincerely,

Oklahoma Dee

Offline Mike D.

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2008, 11:52:44 AM »
I already have one of those and won't modify it. I would like to have a short, round barreled '76 in .45-60.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com