How Did You Get Started In Leatherworking?

Started by Ten Wolves Fiveshooter, October 15, 2007, 11:26:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Thanks Marshal Will & Outrider

A pard by the name of Wayne Christensen who owns a leather and craft store called Standing bears , in Reseda  Ca. was my mentor, I took a real bad fall in march of 2005 , broke my wrist,and tore two of my arm muscles off my shoulder, one of them being my bicep muscle, which ended my working career, I've always been interested in leather,so I started stopping by his store, after I had therapy, he told me he got started in leather 20 years ago after injuring his shoulder and liked it so well he stayed at Standing Bears and bought the business. I used to shoot in quick draw comp. back in the 60's and had my holster rigs made by the late Alfonso Pineda, of Alfonso of Hollywood. We became good friends over the years, and I always had a great appreciation of the work he did. Never had time before but I do now and even with a disability, the hand I injured was my left, and I'm left handed I only have a 10 # grip,but leather has allowed me to work with my hands and make my right hand do some of the things that I can't with my left, I would say it takes me a good 7 times longer than anyone else, but I've got lots of time now . Its taken me 2 years to get all of my guns together and I'm just about ready to get out there do this Cowboy Action Shooting, I'm really looking forward to it, I hope you Pards don't think I'm feeling sorry for myself ,or that I'm complaining,I'm not, I just felt I needed to tell my story, that maybe someone else out there that has a physical problem, that reads this , will feel better about giving it a chance.. Its nice being in this forum and its nice having a good bunch of pards like yourselves out there.           Thanks for you comments and for listening, I won't be so lengthy the next time. :)

Ten Wolves Five Shooter :) ;) :D ;D

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: Ten Wolves Fiveshooter on October 15, 2007, 11:26:38 AMThanks for you comments and for listening, I won't be so lengthy the next time. :)
It's always interesting to hear why one gets started with leatherworking. I suspect there are as many stories as there are leather workers. Thanks for sharing.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

outrider

Ten Wolves...Life can deal a good hand to some and a bad hand to others.  The leather work seams to be a good therapy where you have to use your hands  and I think as time goes on you will get better and also better at the leather work...so keep on plugging pardner...Yes...there are alot of good people in this forum..very thoughtful and helpful.

If you have not shot the cowboy action shooting before...be prepared to be totally hooked....and no matter what your speed you will find that most all cowboy shooters are 1st rate pardners...
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Outrider
           Thanks for the come back , and your right , I'm not worried about how I'm going to do in CAS, it's been my insentive since this happened, which has really helped through these times , I'm just going to do my best , and have FUN, so I guess I'm lucky in a since , if I hadn't had that fall , I would never of had time for CAS, leather or taken an early retirement, we just have to enjoy everyday as it comes, and your right too, everyone I've met in CAS has been friendly and helpfull, a real top notch bunch of Pards :)
                                          Thanks again Outrider, and don't forget to shoot straight 8)

Ten Wolves Five Shooter :) ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Travis Morgan

Ten Wolves,

I'm in a similar boat. Got to where I couldn't ride Colts after breaking my back, so I started shoeing horses. Got to where I couldn't do that, so I started installing satellites. After a few back spasms nearly threw me off the ladder, and a company that didn't pay, I started having to dig deep to find skills I already had. I'm not making any money off my leatherwork, but it keeps me busy on days when I can barely walk.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Back at ya Travis

I know how you feel my brother , I have a great love for things in life, and even though some things have been taken away, it don't matter, I still have my wonderfull FAMILY and the stuff I love to do like LEATHER, CAS and my Guns and a bunch of other stuff. Like you said, the leather helps to fell in those hours when you need to keep busy with your hands. Good luck to you Travis, and thanks for your reply.
                                             Shoot Straight and have Fun ;) 8)

Ten Wolves Five Shooter  :) ;) :D ;D

Travis Morgan

Ten Wolves,

What sucks is that, once my physical strength and presence was taken from me, I got to see how little was left. God certainly has a way of showing you your place. I was due.

Brazos Jack

When I was eleven years old I told my mom and dad I wanted to learn leatherwork. Growing up on a small ranch in West Texas there was lots of leather wares used around the place and it was easy for a kid to want to learn to make this kind of stuff. But, being as my folks weren't made of money (okay, we were dirt poor,) that was not going to happen in the "traditional" sense.

Undeterred, I save my money and bought a bundle of scraps from the feed store in Rotan and with a Barlow pocket knife and a saddler's punch I started a task that has led to some interesting ends.

In the mid 80s I got involved with a small group of guys doing mock gunfights and traded for an 1851 Navy .36 caliber. I made my first holster by wetting and shaping, marking, reshaping, and fudging till I got it right . . . . well, as right as it was going to get anyway. Ugly as it was (and still is) I got a lot of use from it while involved with the "Rough Riders." It even served me for fast draw shooting.

I continued dabbling in the trade until 1991 when decided to get serious. Now, I would like to mention that my financial situation was not one that would encourage many to take on a serious venture in the trade. (I started this with $100.00.) But, tenacity being my middle name, I went for it. I had had an interest in Buckskinning for some time after meeting up with a Rendezvous Reenactor in Colorado. So that's the direction I took.

With just the most basic off tools I began by making varied sized deer skin pouches by just "shooting from the hip" as it were. No two were exactly alike as I would simply cut out two pieces of deer skin the same size and then punch the stitch holes, stack them, and then sew them later. Well, God has a sense of humor and sometimes uses it to point us in the direction we need to go. One day my two year old daughter threw a fit and grabbed the box holding all my pre-punched pouch blanks and threw it across the room. Did I mention that NO TWO were alike? It took me two days to sort, count, and match up the pieces. The whole time I was saying to my self "Self, there's gotta be a better way." Well, it was them I created different Templates with Pre-marked stitch holes in each and used them to transfer the holes to the leather. At the time I never dreamed that this mishap would lead to what I have accomplished since. (The Almighty does work in strange and mysterious ways!)

After spending eight good years in the Rendezvous, Powwow, and French & Indian War Reenactments, I got involved with SASS while in Dahlonega, Georgia. I hadn't joined yet, but was hanging around being my usual annoying self. One day a fellow asked me to make a holster for him and I agreed even though I hadn't made one in 15 years. I asked to take his pistol home so to use it to form the shape, but he wasn't too keen on that idea (and who could blame him?) Again, undeterred I produced a leather strap and took "measurements" of the pistol. He asked "Is this going to work?" and I assured him "Oh yeah, it'll work." (I had no idea of what I was doing!)

I took the strap home to my RV trailer where I was living and used the assorted marks to layout a template. (At least now I knew what I was doing.) The next day I took the finished holster to him and to my surprise it fit perfectly. I wanted to know if I had just gotten lucky or had I hit on something so I asked my dear friend Knife in Foot if I could borrow a pistol to try this again. After seven consecutive successful holsters, I was convinced. I had discovered a way to make a perfect fitting holster without having to wet mold the thing! The rest, well . . . . is history.

Then in early 2002 I decided to write a book describing the methods I had learned to make Templates for various leather projects. It was a slow process being that I was working 6 – 7 days a week as a pipe fitter and steel fabricator in Abilene, Texas. But, on July 29, 2002 that changed when the hydraulics on a scissor lift failed and fell causing a serious injury to my lower back. Unable to return to work, I had a lot of time on my hands and my book project was my savior.

I February 2003, I had the first copy printed at a Print shop in town and went to visit the folks at P&D Leather there in Abilene. Believe it or not, but it was then I discovered who Al Stohlman was. (Boy was I uniformed all my life!) The folks gave me some ideas of who to send the book to for publication. I sent out five copied to Tandy, Weaver, Standing Bear, Crazy Crow, and Hide Crafters. After five months I got a call from a small and relatively unknown company in Fort Worth . . . Hide Crafters! George said he loved the book and would put it his next catalog. I was dancing in the air! (I never heard from any of the others, so George got my contract.)

Since that time I have published one other book and another is in the works. I also created and published several Pattern Packs that simplify the layout and assembly process so that first timers can get the results they are looking for. It has been and still is my mission to see to it that young and old novice leathercrafters don't have to suffer through the trial and error that I went through. Even though circumstances have forced me to close the "Lil ole shop in Baird," I still teach and help folks every way I can to further their knowledge and skill in the Trade that I have come to love. I would like to add that I still use the simple tools I started with in 1991.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!   

Irish Dave

It was about 1973. At that time I co-owned a music store that occupied space right next to a "hippie" leather shop.

He wanted to learn guitar and I wanted to learn leathercrafting. So we traded lessons. Yes, I made "hippie" belts and bags and etc for a few years :-[ until (thankfully) that trend died out.

I put my leather tools away until the mid-'80s when my interest turned to cowboy guns (mostly originals then). As I acquired some pieces, I started to look for "correct" style leather, only to find none. Then, in a "duh" moment, I realized I should break out the tools and make them myself.

My early efforts were laughable (I've saved some of them just to get a chuckle now and then), but I kept working at it. By about 1990 I was starting to "get it right" (mostly) and sold rigs to many shooters in the IN, OH and IL areas for the next 10-15 years. 

I don't have the time to do as much commercial work these days, though I still sell pieces to fellow shooters and club members, but I continue to practice this craft and try to refine my work each time.

Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Mogorilla

In the mid 80s, I was in my teens and did some buckskinning items with my friends.  Fast forward to mid 90s.  I did a kit of a navy colt and once completed I decided I need a holster.  Well, my girth had grown quite a bit and it seemed if you needed a belt that involved an extra long cow, they were charging mightily for it.  I looked around and decided, hey I could do this, afterall I had just built the pistol.  Ironically by the time I completed the first belt, I had dropped 75 lbs and could have bought one of the bigger off the rack belts.  Anyway, I was hooked.   I returned to my roots and made several native inspired items, I still have a fondness for fringe.   I actually think I enjoy the leather work more than the shooting, which is saying a lot, since I really like those cap-n-ball revolvers.     

"You going to pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Johnny McCrae

What a great topic! These are some very inspiring stories.

I got the idea to take a crack at leatherworking from the "Leather Shop" here on CAS City. I went to the local Tandy Leather store and bought the book by Al Stohlman called "How to Make Holsters". I bought a few tools along with some scraps of leather and just jumped in. There is a lot of satisfaction in using gear made by yourself.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Travis Morgan

Where can I get a copy of that book, Jack?

Mogorilla,

That's how I came to be making a belt for a buddy of mine. The guy at the gun show told him they don't make cows that long! I grew up ranching, and knew better. We went to the leather factory after the gun show, and the rest is history.

Brazos Jack

Quote from: Travis Morgan on October 16, 2007, 04:36:51 PM
Where can I get a copy of that book, Jack?

Mogorilla,

That's how I came to be making a belt for a buddy of mine. The guy at the gun show told him they don't make cows that long! I grew up ranching, and knew better. We went to the leather factory after the gun show, and the rest is history.

Hide Crafters Leather in Fort Worth is the only place in the country to get one. 1-888-263-5277.

Oh yeah, and as for big cows . . . . yeah, I made a gun belt for a guy with a 62" waist one time with leather left over. Obviously that guy ain't never seen a real cow!

Travis Morgan

Brazos Jack

Quote from: Travis Morgan on October 16, 2007, 10:25:11 PM
What's it called, and how much is it?

The Book of Leather Work  29.95
Keep in mind it don't deal with tooling and carving . . . . just pattern templates and other really cool stuff

Mogorilla

A 62" belt would be a hard expensive find I am guessing.  At the time I felt so good in 46" pants, I wore 48" just for the fun :D.  Most gun belts recommended being ~2" longer than your normal waist size, so I was looking at a 51.   At several places anything over 42 was several extra dollars per inch.   First I thought, have these leather companies seen us guys shooting western? (my wife saw pictures of several shoots and calls it a bearded overweight men club. ;))   Anyway, I uttered those words she fears most, "I could make that", and a very long cowhide was delivered.   I am now wearing 42s so I have had practice makeing/resizing belts for a while.   

Silver_Rings

Being cheap got me started making my own leather. :)  In the mid 70's I wanted to try IPSC.  I had a Colt Gold Cup 1911 and needed a holster and mag pouch.  As luck would have it Guns & Ammo magazine had an article on making your own leather holster.  I picked up some leather scrapes and made a couple of holsters and mag pouches.  Didn't touch leather making again until I started SASS and needed holsters and belt.  Got the Al Strobman book and went at it. 

It does feel great making the leather gear I use in CAS.  A real sense of pride.  In the past year I've also made chaps, vest and pillows.  The pillows are not used for CAS :).

SR
Gunfighter, SASS 27466, NRA Life, GOFWG, BOSS, RO 1, RO 2

Major 2

Quote from: Brazos Jack on October 17, 2007, 05:37:23 AM
The Book of Leather Work  29.95
Keep in mind it don't deal with tooling and carving . . . . just pattern templates and other really cool stuff

Leather Tradesman, Author, Pattern Maker... may I add Generous & Compassionate  :)
Brazos Jack offered & made a large size cartridge belt for the Tabasco Kid ( my late Friend ).... The Kid was very greatful.
when planets align...do the deal !

Mogorilla

I have to say, I don't know many of the people here personally, but I have never met a nicer crowd than the people I have met at shoots, shirt of the back crowd to be sure.    :)

Major 2

Necessity was the mother of inspiration in my story....

30 odd years ago, I was getting serious about Mounted CW reenacting. Nobody was making Reproduction horse
furnature, except "Ol" Frank Burgess and a guy in Richmond VA "The Cavalry Shop "...both were rebuilding surplus 04 McClellan's
by removing the leather seat to the rawhide and adding new Quarter straps and skirts.
I decided to build my own... The first was a saddle hanging in my Aunt barn in Highlands, NC, after stripping and making all the leather parts per Randy Steffens fine books...I rode that saddle several years. Much of the gear, I made was just not available back then.

I guess I made 20 of them for reenactors, before I found an original 1859 Tree , I sent it to Joe Barefoot in Atlanta, who re-raw hided it after he took it apart to measure it for reproduction. That saddle was the bases for the first true 59 repo tree available.
Moving on to build my own Grimsleys , Hope's and a whole lot more McClellan's on my cloned 1859 trees.
I made a number of saddles for Films including Martin Sheen's R. E. Lee Transitional Grimsley in Gettysburg in 1991 ( I still have that one )on an original tree I bought.

I've made holsters (Posse & Geronimo ), Cutlass scabbards ( Ironclads ) , Knife sheaves  ( Into the West )
I've only made purpose made leather either for my use or for film props.
I needed a leather Dragoon helmet for my character roll in Tecumseh so I just made mine ,because I could not find a maker.
Very time consuming and I learn a lot on that build.

I never got into a production line or even considered my approach the equal of some of the leather smiths found here. I bow to the fine workmanship of the professional leather-smith.
when planets align...do the deal !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com