** Updated ** More Photo Views of Spencer Cartridge Boxes

Started by Tuolumne Lawman, January 17, 2007, 05:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tuolumne Lawman

Howdy,

There are four different Spencer cartridge boxes for sale on Ebay.  Two I found typing "Spencer Carbine" in search, and two under "Spencer box".  I can't afford to buy any right now as I am building my CMP match AR15 for when I move to Illinois.

I hope someone on the list can pick them up, and maybe be nice enough to scan the labels and send them to me <gggg>!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Two Flints

Hi T.L.,

Are these what you were looking for?

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Two Flints

More Spencer cartridge boxes and single cartridges to look at  ::) ::)

Spencer 56-46 Round

Indian War 56-50 Spencer Round

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

Two Flints

Hello SSS,

Still two more examples of original Spencer cartridge boxes.

Photo(s) courtesy of Cowan's Auctions, Cincinnati, Ohio.  Their link is  http://www.cowans.com

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

Two Flints

Yet another Spencer Cartridge Box:
Full Box of 42 Rounds .56-50 Spencer Ammo.
Manufactured by C. D. Leet, Springfield, Mass, in 1865. About mint condition. $950

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

SEA3PO

After looking at the photos.....I remembered... I bought four boxes of Spencer blanks 20 odd years ago at the Ventura Gun Show....for $5 each....and somewhere I still had them... after a brief look...yep I still had em... they were movie prop blanks...made by Remington Arms for 8mm Lebel Smokeless and modified to Spencer rifle blanks....three boxes of 1/2 loads and one of full loads...(whatever that is)...CF

Re-posted by Two Flints  (thanks Joel)
Joel
SEA3PO

Old Second Dragoon

I am making two Spencer wooden cartridge crates (early and late) with individual boxes. Can anyone tell me what the size of the cardboard box is that holds seven (7) cartridges and the one that holds the six (6) individual boxes that make a 42 count? Are there any particular assembly notes, i.e. wrapping etc. on early and late war? My late box will be a LEET and the early a SPENCER JOSLYN (I believe?). If these would be correct, what would the appropriate cartridge box labels be for both commercial and arsenal crates and there size? If anyone has templates already made up that they wouldn't mind sharing, I would greatly appreciate it. Feel free to instruct the 'ignorant!' Thanks in advance.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

Old Second Dragoon

Thanks Two Flints! These will certainly help me out a great deal. I had seen the one, but not the other two. I guess I better spend a bit more time navigating this forum as members have posted a great deal of valuable information.

One question, though. I noticed on one label it notes for .56 Navy and Infantry Size, but would this still be a correct label for the early carbine too (same cartridge)? It probably is just 'sematics.'  :)

Toujours Pret!

Old Second Dragoon

Two Flints

This is a pack of 42 .52 caliber Spencer & Joslyn cartridges. The outer box meas. approx. 4.25 inches long x 1.75 inches wide x 4.25 inches high. At the center of the lid is a plain label with black printing that meas. approx. 4.00 x 1.75 inches that reads "FORTY-TWO, METALLIC CARTRIDGES, FOR SPENCER & JOSLYN CARBINE, NO. 56 NAVY AND INFANTRY SIZE. MANUFACTURED BY CRITTENDEN & TIBBALS MF'G CO., SOUTH COVENTRY, CONN., U.S." Label is a little crooked and curled along the top edge. Lid lifts off to expose 6 sealed inner packs that each contains 7 cartridges. One inner pack is torn on the end exposing a cartridge on the inside. The outer box itself has some dirt and scuffing to the paper. One end flap from the lid is missing but the paper wrapper from that area is still present. Also, one of the bottom corner seams has split causing the paper wrapper in that area to curl.

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

Old Second Dragoon

Thank you. Great pictures!! The measurements posted of a Spencer and Joslyn Crate herein of 8.5 x 10.5 x 15 confuses me a bit because with your measurements, the I/S measurements to accommodate two rows of 12 boxes each (1008 rounds) would need to be about 10.5 inches long x 8.5 inches high x 8.5 inches wide. Assuming its made of 1 inch wood, the crate should be about 12.5 x 10.5 x 10.5 O/S measurements. Perhaps those rounds might have been packaged differently or the use of a different wood thickness? Anyway, I sincerely appreciate your help and patience with me.

Two Flints

Maybe these photos and info will help!

POST-CIVIL WAR SAN ANTONIO ARSENAL CRATE & LID FOR SPENCER MODEL 1865 .50 CARTRIDGES

This wooden crate measures approximately 19.00 in. long x 11.00 in. wide x 6.25 in. tall. The crate is nailed and is still holding together well. The outside surfaces are painted a dark olive drab. The body of the box does exhibit the normal wear a crate of this age is expected to have. Worn edges, heavy wear around the fastening points, some minor cracks, and warping at the joints. This box does have some severe wood beetle damage on the bottom plank. A third of the surface of this plank has been eaten away exposing the naked wood underneath. However, it has not weakened the box or obliterated any markings. The lid is complete and in good condition. There are two horizontal cracks that run the length of the lid but due to the braces underneath this is not a problem. The lid does have stenciling but it is unreadable due to age and wear. The underside of the lid has a modern Ohio address written in black ink. Of course this is not seen with the lid in place.

Both side pieces are stenciled "FROM SAN ANTONIO ARSENAL, SEPT. 20, 1872" This wording is very light on one side and can only be seen in the right light on the other. The lettering is/was white and using letters 0.75 of an inch high. One end piece is stenciled with "CAL .50" on either side of the handle, and "MODEL 1865 SPENCER CARBINE, MANUFACTURED BY SAGE AMMUNITION WORKS, MIDDLETOWN, CONN." This stenciling is done in red ink, again with 0.75 letters. Most of the stenciling is readable but wear and rubbing has made it light in some areas.

Hope you can use this information for your reproduction Spencer wooden cartridge crate.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

Old Second Dragoon

Howdy Two Flints.
You are amazing with your knowledge and quick responses in an effort to assist me! Awesome!!
I can see that there were probably several variations in crate size depending upon manufacturer and individual type packaging of cartridges. I am going to use the dimensions you provided earlier for the 24 boxes of 42 rounds (1008 total). I feel that this is good enough under the circumstances.
I have attached two photographs of some of my personally made crates and boxes.

They are best guesstimates as I have never actually seen nor acquired any dimensions for the real deals. I know that Sharps' Carbines and perhaps Henry's came in bigger crates (I've seen diagrams of the former), but a crate for more than six weapons is unreasonable to lug around at events.
I'd like to give Todd Koster of Black Squirrel Ammunition the credit for providing me with the Henry stencils. Thanks again and best regards.
The 2d Dragoon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com