Spencer ?

Started by Wild Ben Raymond, August 05, 2006, 11:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wild Ben Raymond

Howdy! thought I'd ask this queston in here being this the Spencer Shooting Society. I was in my local Scheels all Sports & they got a couple new toys in. One being a original Spencer Carbine 50 cal. w/22in barrel. At least that's what it says on the tag but this one has a HEAVY octagon barrel like the one's found on the Spencer/Hawkens type & a short forearm with no barrel bands (I don't know what holds it on & it don't quite look orginal to the gun). Anybody care to give more info on this variation on this Spencer. ??? WBR   

Two Flints

Slp,

Is it a Goodell-Spencer?  See:  http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,10132.0.html
Or maybe a Gemmer-Spencer?  See: http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,10019.0.html
Both links are on page 2 of SSS.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Wild Ben Raymond

I looked over the pic's but neither looked like the one I saw. Picture one has a round barrel this one has a octagon one & the forearm is shorter. The second pic I don't think the barrel is that long & not sure the stock is the same either. Next time I'm there, I'll ask to look at it(Remove it out of the glass case) So if I do what should I look for? WBR

Two Flints

Slp,

What about these?
Spencer Sporting Rifle

Probably converted from military surplus rifle or carbine. The tapered octagonal barrel is 28 7/8" long. It has a silver blade front sight and a simple Kentucky style notched rear sight. The barrel has 100% of a reblued finish. Markings on the barrel are excellent and read "J.H. JOHNSTON/GREAT WESTERN GUN WORKS PITTSBURGH, PA." Upper left flat is stamped "CAST STEEL." Bore is fine. The receiver, triggerguard/lever and lock mechanism all have 100% of the modern color casehardening present. Colors are quite beautiful and vivid. Serial number is 21189. Action works perfectly. Adjustable single set trigger is adapted to the gun. The triggerplate and the buttplate have all of the reblued finish present on them. A sporting slender forend is screwed to the bottom of the barrel. The standard buttstock is in fine condition and has almost all of the modern oil finish present. There are four small plugged holes on top of the wrist presumably for a repair but no damage is evident. Saddle ring plate is located on the left side of the frame but no bar or ring are present.

Spencer New Model Military Rifle

5,000 of this model were made. Tapered round barrel is 30" long. It is mounted with a stud style front sight and a military ladder style rear sight. Barrel is smooth with about 60% thin original blue finish remaining. Barrel is beginning to spot and faded to plum and gray. Top of the barrel is marked at the breech "N.M." Caliber is .56 rimfire and the bore is excellent. Action works well. Top of the frame is well marked with Spencer name, address and patent information. The frame is mostly dull gray but has about 10% dull color casehardening remaining. The lock works perfectly. Serial number 99912. Military style full length forend is attached to the barrel by three barrel bands. Sling swivel is located on the middle barrel band and a steel nosecap is present. The buttstock is also of walnut and both it and the forearm are in fine condition. Sling swivel is located on the bottom edge of the buttstock and no provision for saddle ring is present on the left side. Military style buttplate with complete magazine located in the buttstock.

And then this Spencer Buffalo Rifle:

Spencer Buffalo Rifle Frontier Conversion of a Civil War Carbine. 46 cal Bore VG plus, Mech Exc, Wood VG plus, the forarm shows saddle wear and the stock is near excellent showing little abuse. Has a 30" heavy Oct barrel with orig. period style sights. The receiver has VG Spencer markings on the top of the receiver . The serial#41180.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

Wild Ben Raymond

Not really, the forearm appeared to me to be maybe 6-8 in. long & the barrel appeared to be thicker/heavier but not being long.(only 22in.) that could be an optical illusion due to the short barrel. I could only see it from the hammer side view. I will try & make it over there next weekend & look it over, take some measurements if possable. At this point it appears to be a cut down buffalo version (looks the most like it) with a later replaced forearm. WBR   

Two Flints

Slp,

Boy, if you don't get to see a photo of this mystery Spencer, I'll really be  >:( >:( >:( >:( ;) ;) ;).

I'm curious now, a photo of it would be nice!  See if that's possible.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

Wild Ben Raymond

Two Flints, the Scheels store is in Sioux City Ia, I don't have a camera nor do I know how to post them, sorry :'(I went to www.sheelsallsports.com to see if they listed any of their collector pieces but could not find anything. You may try calling the store(712-252-1551). Tell them you were passing through town & stopped in the store recently & was interested in knowing more about the Spencer in the gun room. Ask them if they would e-mail you some pic's. Pretend like your intrested in buying it, or not. Maybe they can help you. WBR
P.S. The price I believe was $2499.00, if my memory is correct.     

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com